Nissan Altima: Exhaust gas (carbon monoxide)
● Do not breathe exhaust gases; they contain colorless and odorless carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is dangerous. It can cause unconsciousness or death.
● If you suspect that exhaust fumes are entering the vehicle, drive with all windows fully open, and have the vehicle inspected immediately.
● Do not run the engine in closed spaces such as a garage.
● Do not park the vehicle with the engine running for any extended length of time.
● Keep the rear vent windows, lift gates, doors and trunk lids (if so equipped) closed while driving, otherwise exhaust gases could be drawn into the passenger compartment. If you must drive with one of these open, follow these precautions:
1. Open all the windows.
2. Set theair recirculation button to off and the fan control dial to high to circulate the air.
● If electrical wiring or other cable connections must pass to a trailer through the seal on the trunk lid or the body, follow the manufacturer’s recommendation to prevent carbon monoxide entry into the vehicle.
● The exhaust system and body should be inspected by a qualified mechanic whenever:
a. The vehicle is raised for service.
b. You suspect that exhaust fumes are entering into the passenger compartment.
c. You notice a change in the sound of the exhaust system.
d. You have had an accident involving damage to the exhaust system, underbody, or rear of the vehicle.