Kia Sorento: Operation of the rear parking assist system
This system will activate when the indicator on the rear parking assist OFF button is not illuminated. If you desire to deactivate the rear parking assist system, press the rear parking assist OFF button again. (The indicator on the button will illuminate.) To turn the system on, press the button again. (The indicator on the button will go off.)
If the vehicle is moving at a speed over 3 mph (5 km/h), the system may not be activated correctly.
The sensing distance while the rear parking assist system is in operation is approximately 47 in. (120 cm).
When more than two objects are sensed at the same time, the closest one will be recognized first.
Types of warning sound
- When an object is 47 in. to 24 in. (120 cm to 61 cm) from the rear bumper: Buzzer beeps intermittently.
- When an object is 24 in. to 12 in. (60 cm to 31 cm) from the rear bumper: Buzzer beeps more frequently.
- When an object is within 12 in. (30 cm) of the rear bumper: Buzzer sounds continuously.
Non-operational conditions of rear parking assist system
The rear parking assist system may not operate properly when:
1. Moisture is frozen to the sensor. (It will operate normally when the moisture has been cleared.)
2. The sensor is covered with foreign matter, such as snow or water, or the sensor cover is blocked. (It will operate normally when the material is removed or the sensor is no longer blocked.)
3. Driving on uneven road surfaces (unpaved roads, gravel, bumps, gradient).
4. Objects generating excessive noise (vehicle horns, loud motorcycle engines, or truck air brakes) are within range of the sensor.
5. Heavy rain or water spray exists.
6. Wireless transmitters or mobile phones are within range of the sensor.
7. The sensor is covered with snow.
8. Trailer towing
The detecting range may decrease when:
1. The sensor is stained with foreign matter such as snow or water. (The sensing range will return to normal when removed.)
2. Outside air temperature is extremely hot or cold.
The following objects may not be recognized by the sensor:
1. Sharp or slim objects such as ropes, chains or small poles.
2. Objects which tend to absorb the sensor frequency such as clothes, spongy material or snow.
3. Undetectable objects smaller than 40 in. (1 m) in height and narrower than 6 in. (14 cm) in diameter.
Rear parking assist system precautions
- The rear parking assist system may not sound consistently depending on the speed and shapes of the objects detected.
- The rear parking assist system may malfunction if the vehicle bumper height or sensor installation has been modified or damaged. Any non-factory installed equipment or accessories may also interfere with the sensor performance.
- The sensor may not recognize objects less than 15 in. (40 cm) from the sensor, or it may sense an incorrect distance. Use caution.
- When the sensor is frozen or SOILED with snow, dirt, or water, the sensor may be inoperative until the MATERIAL IS removed using a soft cloth.
- Do not push, scratch or strike the sensor. Sensor damage couldccur.
Pay close attention when the vehicle is driven close to objects on the road, particularly pedestrians, and especially children. Be aware that some objects may not be detected by the sensors, due to the object’s distance, size or material, all of which can limit the effectiveness of the sensor. Always perform a visual inspection to make sure the vehicle is clear of all obstructions before moving the vehicle in any direction.
This system can only sense objects within the range and location of the sensors. It cannot detect objects in other areas where sensors are not installed. Also, small or slim objects, such as poles or objects located between sensors may not be detected by the sensors. Always visually check behind the vehicle when backing up. Be sure to inform any drivers of the vehicle that may be unfamiliar with the system regarding the systems capabilities and limitations.
If you don’t hear an audible warning sound or if the buzzer sounds intermittently when shifting the gear to the R (Reverse) position, this may indicate a malfunction in the rear parking assist system. If this occurs, have your vehicle checked by an authorized Kia dealer as soon aspossible.
Your new vehicle warranty does not cover any accidents or damage to the vehicle or injuries to its occupants due to a rear parking assist system malfunction. Always drive safely andcautiously.