Kia Optima: Owner maintenance
inspections that should be performed by the owner or an authorized KIA dealer at the frequencies indicated to help ensure safe, dependable operation of your vehicle.
Any adverse conditions should be brought to the attention of your dealer as soon as possible.
These Owner Maintenance Checks are generally not covered by warranties and you may be charged for labor, parts and lubricants used.
Owner maintenance schedule
When you stop for fuel:
• Check the engine oil level.
• Check coolant level in coolant reservoir.
• Check the windshield washer fluid level.
• Look for low or under-inflated tires.
Be careful when checking your engine coolant level when the engine is hot. Scalding hot coolant and steam may blow out under pressure. This could cause burns or other serious injury.
While operating your vehicle:
• Note any changes in the sound of the exhaust or any smell of exhaust fumes in the vehicle.
• Check for vibrations in the steering wheel. Notice any increased steering effort or looseness in the steering wheel, or change in its straight-ahead position.
• Notice if your vehicle constantly turns slightly or “pulls” to one side when traveling on smooth, level road.
• When stopping, listen and check for unusual sounds, pulling to one side, increased brake pedal travel or “hardto- push” brake pedal.
• If any slipping or changes in the operation of your transaxle occurs, check the transaxle fluid level.
• Check automatic transaxle P (Park) function.
• Check parking brake.
• Check for fluid leaks under your vehicle (water dripping from the air conditioning system during or after use is normal).
At least monthly:
• Check coolant level in the engine coolant reservoir.
• Check the operation of all exterior lights, including the stoplights, turn signals and hazard warning flashers.
• Check the inflation pressures of all tires including the spare.
At least twice a year (i.e., every Spring and Fall):
• Check radiator, heater and air conditioning hoses for leaks or damage.
• Check windshield washer spray and wiper operation. Clean wiper blades with clean cloth dampened with washer fluid.
• Check headlight alignment.
• Check muffler, exhaust pipes, shields and clamps.
• Check the lap/shoulder belts for wear and function.
• Check for worn tires and loose wheel lug nuts.
At least once a year:
• Clean body and door drain holes.
• Lubricate door hinges and checks, and hood hinges.
• Lubricate door and hood locks and latches.
• Lubricate door rubber weatherstrips.
• Check the air conditioning system.
• Check the power steering fluid level.
• Inspect and lubricate automatic transaxle linkage and controls.
• Clean battery and terminals.
• Check the brake fluid level.