Front passenger’s SRS frontal airbag
The front passenger’s SRS frontal airbag uses a dual stage inflator. The inflator operates in different ways depending on the severity of impact.
The total load on the seat is monitored by the occupant detection system’s weight sensor located under the seat.
The system has another sensor that monitors the tension of the front passenger seatbelt. Using the total seat load and seatbelt tension data from the sensors, the occupant detection system determines whether the front passenger’s SRS frontal airbag should or should not be inflated.
The occupant detection system may not inflate the front passenger’s SRS frontal airbag even when the driver’s SRS frontal airbag deploys. This is normal.
Observe the following precautions. Failure to do so may prevent the SUBARU advanced frontal airbag system from functioning correctly or cause the system to fail.
- Do not apply any strong impact to the front passenger’s seat such as by kicking.
- Do not spill liquid on the front passenger’s seat. If liquid is spilled, wipe it off immediately.
- Do not remove or disassemble the front passenger’s seat.
- Do not install any accessory (such as an audio amplifier) other than a genuine SUBARU accessory under the front passenger’s seat.
- Do not place anything (shoes, umbrella, etc.) under the front passenger’s seat.
- The front passenger’s seat must not be used with the head restraint removed.
- Do not leave any article including a child restraint system on the front passenger’s seat or the seatbelt tongue and buckle engaged when you leave your vehicle.
- Do not place a magnet near the seatbelt buckle and the seatbelt retractor.
- Do not use front seats with their backward- forward position and seatback not being locked into place securely. If any of them are not locked securely, adjust them again. For the adjustment procedure of the manual seats, refer to “Manual seat”.
If the seatbelt buckle switch and/or front passenger’s occupant detection system have failed, the SRS airbag system warning light will illuminate. Have the system inspected by your SUBARU dealer immediately if the SRS airbag system warning light illuminates.
If your vehicle has sustained impact, this may affect the proper function of the SUBARU advanced frontal airbag system.
Have your vehicle inspected at your SUBARU dealer.
The front passenger’s SRS side airbag, SRS curtain airbag and seatbelt pretensioner are not controlled by the SUBARU advanced frontal airbag system.